Creating complete construction docs in LayOut

When we profiled architect Nick Sonders' amazing use of LayOut to create full sets of construction documents for his houses, we knew we were on to something big. The deluge of "TELL ME IMMEDIATELY HOW HE DID THAT" sentiment that ensued prompted us to follow up in two ways:

We invited Nick to present his workflow at our 3D Basecamp event last month. The house was packed and Nick was great, but the audio in the video recording was a little rough, so...

Our videograhper Tyson traveled to Truckee, California to record an in-depth series of videos that document Nick's process in delectable detail.

Half tutorial, half motivational speech and half religious experience (for SketchUp people, at least), the "Sonder Series" is 150% better than anything else we've created for aspiring LayOut users. If you believe in your heart that your SketchUp models deserve to live on, that CAD drafting separate 2D orthographic views is a terrible way to spend your evenings, and that there has to be a better way, this is your path forward. Pop some corn and kick back for some serious edification.

The first video is below; the other five are on online when you're ready.



Posted by Aidan Chopra, SketchUp Evangelist

Permalink | Links to this post |
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We do, however, reserve the right to remove off-topic comments.

11 comments :

gerrrg said...

Great stuff. I love learning about how others have developed their own workflow. I definitely do things slightly different from Nick, including presenting sections, reflected ceiling plans and laying out details.

There is an inescapable truth to why we draw in 3D: Contractors and clients can easily understand them, compared to 2D drawings. As designers, we can create better designs, knowing that we're actually building them in 3D prior to the start of construction.

James Ogston said...

Here, here - the way it should be, from design concept , thru to the field

Touch of class said...

Bravo!

While my projects are much smaller and simpler and less awesome, I too like to model in 3D and then pull 2D plans from my model. These tips were very helpful.

Amar said...

I wonder that how technology can grows and nothing is impossible, Amazing Designs, Thanks.

MasterSketchup said...

Check out my interview with Alex Schreyer on the 2nd episode of the MasterSketchup Podcast. http://www.mastersketchup.com/msp-002-interview-with-alexander-schreyer/

KAC said...

In 2008, as General Contractor, I embarked upon a custom home project for a client using SketchUp Pro for all construction documents - bidding, permitting and fabrication (there was a formal Foundation Plan but, due to its complexity, I ended up modeling it in SketchUp for the sub contractor also). At that time in the construction industry in this neck of the woods, you couldn't get anyone to even discuss SketchUp, much less use it on a building project. How times have changed for the better. :)

Stephen Hammontree said...

The whole series is excellent! Thanks to Mr. Sonder for sharing his expertise. I noticed that you were using a pen/tablet-is this just for presentations or do you use while working in sketchUp?

Terrence Flendersen said...

While my projects are much smaller and simpler and less awesome, I too like to model in 3D and then pull 2D plans from my model. These tips were very helpful. general contractors toronto

Wei said...

I am not from the "industry". But when I design/built my house in 2010/2011, I used SketchupPro/Layout for full planning/building set with the exception of contracted-out structural plans. It was a pain to make Layout work for technical drawing, But I figured out a workflow works for me and get job done. I see no problem of adapting the same strategy for most of the smaller residential project here in California. The advantage of Sketchup over AutoCAD is huge for self-taught DIYers like me. It's easy to learn and great for rapid prototyping/iteration. So, hope you guys pick up the slack Google left there, Believe it or not, People are really using it for real project out there. Google left a product that can do 80% of the job, if you guys can fill in the rest 20%. Maybe it will truly become a tool anyone can use.

Ross Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
galen nikolaidis said...

The entire series is great! Because of Mr. Sonder for discussing his expertise. I question that how technology can develops and absolutely nothing doesn't seem possible, Amazing Designs, Thanks. bobcat colombia